One of the most commonly asked questions is “How can I increase my website traffic?”
You have spent many days or even months to create your own website. And it’s frustrating to see that not many people are visiting your website. Having no traffic to your website is like an empty restaurant with no customers.
No traffic means no sales, and no sales mean you are not able to make money and will soon lose interest in maintaining the website. Getting traffic to your website is the first key part of building a successful online business, if you know how to drive traffic, you will be ahead of the curve.
So how can you increase your website traffic?
We have put together a list of 10 ways to help drive traffic to your website. If you could implement just ONE method every day, your traffic will start to increase in the coming weeks.
Generating traffic is a superpower on its own, and we will teach you all the methods today.
How to Drive Traffic to Your Website
Here are all the 10 ways to increase website traffic. There is a mixture of free and paid traffic to cater for people who would like to use entirely free traffic methods and for people with a budget to spend on paid traffic.
1. Write a Roundup Post
Roundup post is a tried and true method for new websites to get immediate traction.
Here’s how to get started:
1. Think of a main topic.
2. Head over to Google and search for that term. For example, say your topic is “how to lose weight”.
3. Go to Google Page 1 to Page 10 and email all the website owners and ask them what is their favourite method to losing weight.
4. To contact them, simply go to the “contact us” page in each website. You might not get a reply from everyone, and that’s normal.
5. Compile all the answers from those who replied.
6. Write the roundup post with a suitable title. Here are some examples:
a) 25 Fitness Experts Share Their Best Method to Losing Weight
b) 40 Fitness Experts Reveal The Number 1 Secret to Losing Weight
Copy paste their reply from the email into your article to make up the content of the roundup post.
7. Once you have published the article, hit up all the people who replied and tell them they are featured in your latest blog post. Chances are, those 25 or 40 people will share the article with their subscribers and followers, which result in you getting immediate traffic to your website.
You can rinse and repeat this method for any niche and it’s all about getting creative with your topic.
2. Create a Free Giveaway
When no one knows who you are, no one will care.
To break through this barrier and grab people’s attention, give away something valuable for free.
-If you are running a blog, giveaway a free Ebook in exchange for their email.
-If you are an e-commerce store, give away a product or coupon code.
-If you are running a Saas company, have a free option for people to test your tool.
Before you create your giveaway, you should first know about your customer avatar. Answer these questions:
1. Who is your target customer?
2. What is their biggest challenge?
3. How can your giveaway help them?
If your giveaway is valuable and helpful, people will share it and you will get free traffic from different channels on the web.
3. Blog Commenting
Blog commenting is another free method to drive traffic back to your website. You would leverage on blogs that are already popular and leave a thoughtful comment to engage with their readers.
Here’s how to get started:
1. Find websites in your niche that is currently on Page 1 and Page 2 of Google.
2. Search for their latest posts. Don’t comment on posts that are in way back in the past like blog post from 2014 as not many people will see them.
To get updates on their latest posts, subscribe to their newsletter and you will get instant notifications whenever the author released a new blog post.
3. Leave a thoughtful comment and have a link back to your website whenever relevant. If the people find your comments helpful, they will check out your website.
Don’t leave a comment and say generic statements like “great article”. Instead, read the article thoroughly and leave a comment that will add value to their audience.
Note: The trick is to do it few times for people to remember your brand as not many people will click the link or respond to you for the first time.
Frequent blog commenting does two things.
First, it sends free traffic from an authority blog back to your website. Second, you slowly build a relationship with the blog owner and it might result in future collaboration opportunities.
4. Youtube Commenting
Besides blog commenting, another good traffic strategy is Youtube commenting. The Youtube strategy will be slightly different than blog commenting.
1. Find Youtube channels in your niche with at least 50k subscribers.
For example, if you are in the fitness niche, type in popular topics such as “how to lose weight” or “how to build muscle”. There will be plenty of videos in the topics, search for 10 channels with 50k or more subscribers.
2. Subscribe to their channel to receive the latest video notification.
3. Don’t comment just yet, wait for 1-3 days after the video is released.
4. Now leave your comment on those comments where there are plenty of likes AND it’s a question asked by someone. Leave a link to your blog post where relevant.
Again, you are not just looking to comment for sending traffic, this strategy helps you get your name out to the world and most importantly, build a relationship with the person who already has a massive fan base by helping him/her to answer popular questions on their video.
5. Use Buffer to Automate Social Media Posting
Once you have written a blog post, promote it on social media platforms.
Use Buffer to automate your social media posting on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and Google+. The best part is, Buffer is FREE.
Set your posting schedule 1-2 weeks ahead and Buffer will automatically push out content on the social media platforms you have selected.
6. Repurpose Blog Posts Into PDF Files
You have done the hard work in writing the blog posts, but before you write the next one, do this:
1. Convert your existing blog posts into a PDF file.
2. Include your website link in the PDF file.
3. Share it on Slideshare.
Slideshare already has tons of traffic and having your PDF there will leverage their traffic and send traffic back to your website.
7. Attend a Local Meetup And Network
While it’s fun to write blogs at home, this method requires you get out from your home and meet people!
Attend meetups that are related to your niche in your local area. There are 2 groups of people you will meet there.
The first group is someone who is still a beginner, and you can ask that person to check out your “how to” blog posts. The second group is someone who is an influencer, and this could be an opportunity for you to work with the influencer and tap into their existing fan base.
8. Be Active on Instagram
Instagram is a different ball game from different social media sites as you can only include ONE link, and that is in your bio. Include your website link there.
Unlike Facebook, Instagram still provides free organic traffic and you can add up to 10 to 15 hashtags to reach your audience. Organic reach is now dead on Facebook, Instagram is now the best social media platform for organic reach.
Use a free tool like Canva to design your images and add relevant quotes. Before you post, look for hashtags suggestions and Instagram will give their suggested hashtags once you have typed one hashtag. Make a list of the suggested hashtags and include it in your post.
9. Write Blog Posts Based on Google Trends
Use Google Trends and write topics based on what is currently trending. This can be a hit and miss tactic, but when it works, you will see an increase in traffic overnight!
The key here is to move FAST and publish it before more people hop on the topic. You may also set the Google trends story based on your topic category and country.
10. Run Facebook & Instagram Ads
While method 1 to 9 are free methods, our final method is running paid Facebook & Instagram ads. This is probably the quickest way to get traffic to your website.
If you have some budget, run Facebook & Instagram ads, if you don’t, use the 9 free methods.
Here are some Facebook marketing objectives to choose from:
Before you run any ads, install a Pixel and track visitors who land on your website. With the pixel being activated, you can then retarget those visitors and drive them back to your website. Here’s a guide from Facebook on how you can setup your pixel.
Try out the 10 methods above to generate traffic and you will get consistent, quality traffic to your website.
If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments below and we will jump in to answer them.